Remembering the Loughnane Brothers – Irish Revolutionaries

News Detail

Remembering the Loughnane Brothers

Remembering the Loughnane Brothers

Pat Loughnane was a local IRA leader, Sinn Féin secretary and was active in the local GAA. His younger brother Harry was president of the local Sinn Féin club and goalkeeper with Beagh hurling club. Both men were held in the highest regard in the South Galway area.

On Friday, 26th November 1920, while threshing thier mother's corn on the farm in Shanaglish, the brothers were arrested by Tans. More than a week was to pass before the bodies would be recovered and in the intervening period the two men were subjected to incredible barbarity.

Witnesses, including others arrested at the same time, told how the men were beaten for several hours in Gort Bridewell. From there the two men were tied to the tailgate of a lorry, bound to each other, and dragged along the country roads to Drumharsna Castle, headquarters of the Black and Tans, and subjected to further assaults.

At 11pm on 26 November, the day of their arrest, Pat and Harry were taken from the castle to Moy O'Hynes wood, to the spot just off the public road which is now marked by a cross to their memory. Four shots were heard. The following morning the bodies were seen there and the information that Harry was still alive and moaning has always been considered to be reliable.

On Sunday morning, the Auxiliaries came to the wood and took the bodies to Umbriste, about two miles nearer to Ardrahan. There they set fire to them. It appears that since they didn't burn to their satisfaction they hurriedly tried to bury the remains, but on account of the rocky surface of the earth, they failed in that attempt also, and so they threw them into a muddy pond close by where they wouldn't easily be discovered. To make the discovery more difficult, they threw dirty oil on the water.

On the following Monday night, 29th November, a party of auxiliaries from Drumharsna called on Mrs. Loughnane to say that her sons had escaped from them. It was a frightening piece of news to receive and all their friends became anxious about their fate. Their sister Nora came home to make a search for the bodies. It was ten days later that the bodies were found and a funeral arranged.

A local doctor examined the remains carefully. They were badly burnt and what appeared to be the letters `I.V.' were cut in the charred flesh in several places. Two of Harry's fingers were missing and his right arm, broken completely across at the shoulder, was hanging off. Both Pat's wrists and legs were broken. The doctor noted that it looked to him that hand grenades had been put in their mouths and exploded.

Despite a heavy Black and Tan presence in the area, Volunteer officers held an inquest and the verdict was inscribed on the breast plates of the coffins.

At two o'clock in the afternoon, the two coffins were taken down the road to the cemetery and laid side by side in a separate plot. As soon as the last sods had been placed in position six local Volunteers stepped forward and fired three volleys.

By paying that final tribute, the local Volunteers told the Crown forces that England's bloodiest efforts would only harden their ambition to carry on the struggle for a 32 County Irish Republic.

Related Posts

Remembering Dan Breen
Dan Breen was born in Grange, Donohill parish, County Tipperary on August 11th 1894. His father died when Dan was six...
Read More
Seamus Costello – Quotes, Writings & Funeral – UPDATED 2019
Seamus Costello was a Republican Socialist who belonged to the Irish Republic Socialist Party.  He was born in 1939 i...
Read More
Remembering Liam Mellows
Liam Mellows was born on the 25th of May 1892 at Hartshead Military Barracks, Ashton-Under-Lyne, Lancashire, England,...
Read More

Write a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published

Comment are moderated